Friday, February 8, 2013

2.7.13 - Blacks (All Time Dolphin Show)

Paddled out at 6:10 am, solo. Tide was pushing to a 6.1' high at 6:33 am. Conditions were clean, with light offshore winds. Torrey Pines Outer Buoy was reporting Significant Wave Height of 4.3' from 278° at 13.9s. The surf was bigger, and better than I had expected, based upon a few of the near shore models I had looked at Monday night, and with the high tide as well. The inside waves were around chest high, and the sets, albeit somewhat inconsistent were head high plus. Many of the waves I caught ended up tossing me around, because the bottoms were dropping out pretty fast. I did catch one really good left, somewhat long and fast, with a backside head dip on it (not fully barrelled, but probably one of my closest backside tube rides in a while). That wave was fun, but the highlight of the session was the full on dolphin show that happened early in the session. At one point there were close to 15 dolphin swimming around, catching air, and just playing! When I was paddling over the shoulder of a wave, a full sized dolphin dove out of the back and was flying through the air, about five feet away from me!! WOO HOO!!!. Waves were chest to head high plus. Water was starting to warm up a bit, but still wore my 4/3, booties, and hood. Board ridden: 5'11" Xanadu Pig 2.






No comments:

Post a Comment